Thursday, May 27, 2010

Art Parody


I was thinking about the art of art parody. There are piece that lend themselves to this art very well because of their notoriety. I think Grant Wood’s “American Gothic” is the most parodied. DaVinci’s “Last Supper” and the” Mona Lisa” are the next two most often parodied. Edvard Munch’s “The Scream” has seen a lot of parody action. Michelangelo’s” Creation” has been extensively reworked as has Edward Hopper’s Nighthawks.


Interesting to me is that both Hopper and Wood are 20th century painters and though daVinci and Michelangelo had a five-hundred year lead on them, their notoriety is stellar. Another interesting thing is that one doesn’t have to go far to find nearly every painting in existence has been parodied by the Simpsons.

I hope that the parody artists will expand their horizon to more obscure artists in the future because it is through them that we are awakened to the beauty of the original works.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

There is just not much I love more than a good parody. Art- "Mona Gorilla" is one of my faves. Music- Anything by Weird Al. Literature- "Bored of the Rings" by Harvard Lampoon. Movies- "Spaceballs" and "Airplane" are high art indeed. If I had artistic abilities of any degree, I would be a parody artist.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

and I have done a parody of every one of these EXCEPT Mona Lisa. I guess that will be my next piece!

10:14 AM  
Blogger mark said...

My kind of art! But where do the paintings of the poker-playing dogs fit into this?

2:39 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Good lawd yes, I forgot about the sock monkey art! Art parodies at their finest!

5:27 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you could do blog parodies. I've done a few posts in the style of other local bloggers. Funny and fun stuff.

Auntie, you are the queen of parody. For those of you that don't know she paints sock monkeys into famous paintings.

Mark, that's original art. Fine art, right up there with velvet Elvis paintings. Repaint it with clowns or cats or the Simpsons and you will have parody.

5:42 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Bet you didn't know that the dogs playing poker series was commercial art for a cigar company.

1:57 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I didn't know that. I hope it was successful for them. If not they probably made a pretty penny off the prints.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home